Monday 10 July 2023

Mayo Conection ( Irish Senior mens Lacrosse Team)

 Mayo men flying the flag for Ireland in San Diego at the World senior Men's Lacrosse Championship.



 





 

Don Preston Irish Senior Men's Coach

 

“My family's from Mayo, a place called Killeen There's a church on top of the hill there. They all moved during the famine where they went  to  Columbus, Ohio, and from there they went west. And a couple ended up in California where I was born. Don explains  how he moved to Ireland in 2004 and played and was involved in setting up a team in UCD.

When his playing career was over he moved back to the USA to become a college Lacrosse coach. He states how he has coached in my different schools but always stayed in touch with the Irish set up

Doe first coached the Éire team with his friend and colleague Richie Moran before getting in touch with head coach Matt Curran who got him involved in the senior  men's team.

With the World Championships now finished Don believes that Ireland Lacrosse is in a great place after finishing 12th in the world and that at can achieve higher placings in future competitons “I think we've got a lot of talent potential more on the score ability and shooting sides and defensive side as take advantage of the adjustment in roles from 20 minutes to 15 quarters. The first ever solo scrimmages after only a couple of training sessions getting folks dialed in and learning each other your names and whatnot. has been pretty good. The first game came out pretty good”.

 

Thomas Burke (35 YEARS Old No. 6)

 

Next we hear from Thomas Burke who is the only player on the Irish squad that has played professionally. He tells us “ how the Burke side of his family originated in Mayo before they moved stateside. He grew up in  Long Islands in New York where lacrosse is as popular as football down south and baseball and in the islands. So lacrosse is everywhere. So I started as a little kid from Massapequa, New York and it's a great lacrosse program.  I played high school lacrosse in college at SUNY Cortland, I played professionally for three years for the Boston Cannons for two years and then New York lizards for a year..”

 

As the veteran of the Irish  Burke’s Irish career began back in 2014 and he had played in every tournament since then  This was his third world outdoor championships along with a number of indoor and box games as well. Burke gives us his thoughts on representing Ireland. “ I definitely didn't take it for granted. I've had an awesome opportunity to put on the green / white jersey everytime i can and I hope to do it a few more times before I eventually retire. “ I definitely have some gas left in  the tank and  would love to possibly give another opportunity to represent Ireland's maybe in box maybe in the European Championships or maybe in the worlds again if given that chance.

 

Conor Kelly Irish Goalkeeper no. 9

 

The Mayo connections don't stop as nex we speak to goalie Conor Kelly whose dads daily come from Claremorris County Mayo . Conor details his early lacrosse career before he made the Irish team. “ I started playing in third grade. And originally played, like midfield  and attack and then actually hurt my back when I was in eighth grade gave goalie a try. It's pretty good at it and then stuck with it”.Kelly explains how  he played at the highest college level possible. “I went to high school at Haverford school, just outside of Philadelphia, and then went on to play at Notre Dame which is a division 1 college which is the highest level of the game in the country”.

Kelly goes on to reveal how he first heard about the Irish lacrosse set up.”So I actually threw through a former teammate at Notre Dame in 2017. just asked me if he knew I had dual citizenship with Ireland and asked me if I was going to try out and I was like, I don't know what you're talking about. He's like, You should try out and so I've actually already missed one of the tryouts for the 2018 team in New York, which would have been closer in Philly and then drove up to Boston that next weekend, to try it out.``.  Since the original try out Kelly has represented Ireland at every  major tournament since even being picked as one of the captains for this world championship .” I   have since played on the 2018 World Team outdoor 2019 Indoor team 2022 Euro box team and now this time around in San Diego for the worlds”.

 

 Conor who is now one of the more experienced players looks back to 2018 when he got that first call stating that “it was an incredible feeling. You know, my parents never played neither did grandparents from Ireland, you know, didn't know anything about lacrosse. And you know, fortunately, my grandma got a chance to watch me play at Notre Dame and no you know, I don't even think I can't  comprehend how much it  meant  to her . You know, to watch me represent Ireland. And you know, all my extended family could not be prouder.”

 

Pat  Smyth Defender )no 91)

 

Next up we have defender Pat Smyth who points out to us that his “grandmother is an Eagney from Ballyhaunis in Mayo. Pat who grew up in Philadelphia details how lacrosse is a huge sport in the area and how he has played it from a young age. Pat has only recently graduated from college where he played lacrosse to a high level. “I played lacrosse at St. John's University in Queens for five years. graduated in 2021.”

He then goes on to describe how he got onto the involvement in the Irish mens set up. “I think I saw something or during the 2014 World Championships I saw Ireland play being a dual citizen. I said I would try out and attempt to make the team. Like Kelly Smyth has played in every tournament since and hopes to play in a few more if he gets the opportunity”.

Smyth reminisces about getting his first call up in 2018 and how he felt “ It's just an immense amount of pride and joy. It's such a great honor to be able to represent the great country of Ireland and play  for my heritage and represent the country where my grandparents came from.”

 

Andy Myers midfielder  no.34

Up next is Andy Myers whose father has a very strong Mayo Heritage. “My Irish  connection is on my father's side of the family. So his parents were born in Ireland. They were born in County Mayo, a little town called "Party". Myers explains how he has moved around a lot when he was younger and even still now. “ So I was born in Chicago, Illinois, and then ended up moving to Kansas when I was about 9 years old. So I grew up there. I started playing lacrosse there, went to high school there, everything like that. And then I've kind of moved around a little bit. I lived in Wisconsin and Ohio now I live in Virginia, but yeah, my formative years were all in Kansas.”

Myers gives his dad the credit for getting him involved in the Irish Irish mens set up . “ It  was through my dad , he had seen that there had been, you know, an Ireland national lacrosse team and knew that I obviously had my citizenship. So, you know, we actually went out to Denver in 2014 Because it's not that far from where I grew up. So we went out to Denver to watch the team in the 2014 world championships”.

 

Myers has worn the Irish jersey  since then , he believes “ It’s a huge honor. Obviously like any chance to represent my heritage but also get to play you know, on on the world stage right getting getting to play in some European Championships and World Championships. It's a special experience and I think you know, it's just really unique. So I'm just very, very grateful and very thankful and again, kind of a full circle. feeling every time I'm able to put on the Irish jersey  just knowing my family's heritage and you know, the people that have given me opportunities you know, in this sport, it's a pretty cool thing to be able to experience and say that I've been able to do and accomplish in my career”.

Myers is hopeful he can make another couple of appearances once his injuries from this tournament clear up.

 

Brian Smyth attack/ face off no.88

 

Brian Smyht has had an interesting tournament beginning as an attacker and finishing as Ireland's face off guy( players that win possession after a goal or beginning of each quarter). .

Smyth;s connections come from the Mayo border in Ballaghaderreen. He explains how on one of his trips  home his family brought him to a Mayo vs Dublin match cementing his “ grandfather's  Mayo roots”.

Brian is another member of the Ireland squad that played a very high level of lacrosse in College after grouping up and playing in Long Island New York .”Yeah, I went to Duke University, and I was fortunate enough to play five years there.where I started as a face off guy before changing to attack..

This was Brian's first time representing Ireland on the world stage. “I unfortunately missed out on tryouts when I was in college for the previous world games and wasn't really thinking about it until my dad mentioned it as he is over in Ireland quite a bit. He got me thinking about it again. So I tried  out at the  US tryouts in New Jersey. And then on to Limerick. Limerick last year. Yes, Limerick was last July”.

After that push from his dad Smyth discloses his thoughts on playing for Ireland and representing his heritage.” It  was very cool going to the trials. It was just a great  experience as I've never played outside of the  Usa . So just being in a different country. Seeing people from where I'd gone for my cousin's never really played. So it was cool seeing Irish people playing and hearing about their experiences playing in Europe and then this whole experience has been great. A lot of cool banter and some good times.”

Smyth has had a great experience in San Diego and hopes to represent Ireland as many times as he can in the future whether at European international or even the Olympics if Lacrosse  get the call for 2028.

 

Jack Galvin Midfielder No. 34

 

Last but not least we have one of the stars of last years U21 side Jack Galvin

Jack grew up in Cape Cod and started playing lacrosse in grade 3 after his friends told him to stop playing soccer. Jack's Mayo connections come from his father Jarlath who was born and raised in Ballina.

Jack is still a college student. “ I play division 2 lacrosse in Assumption . It's  a school in Worcester, Massachusetts. “ He has one more year left before he graduates.

Galvin was originally picked for the Irish U19 team which turned into the U21 side who played in Limerick last year and finished 7th at the World Championship .

Galvins initial start with the Irish set up came from his mother and work. “My mom used to work in Boston. She heard about the Ireland Lacrosse team  through a co-worker. And I tried out because it was originally the U 19  team. But because of COVID and whatnot. I got delayed here. So  it became the U 21 , so I tried out for the team in America and then there were two tryouts in Limerick. So I  made the team and then once the games were on, we just went out and played.

Jack describes the initial feeling of making the first Irish underage  squad along with the senior one now “I was really excited. You know playing for a country where you are parents comes   along with the majority of the rest of your family.So it's really cool and it means more to me everytime I put on the Irish jersey.

So a couple  of months after the tournament in Limerick Galvin received word he would be part of the Senior mens set up in San Diego which he said “ was an amazing achievement and he hopes that he will get more opportunities to represent Ireland in the future.”

 

Corey McMahon

 

The man in the jumper is Corey McMahin who would have been one of Ireland's star players in the tournament in San Diego only for breaking his collarbone weeks before the tournament. McMahon Mayo roots can trace back to the Hennelly’s in Ballyhaunis 

No comments:

Post a Comment