Monday 10 July 2023

Cavan Lacrosse Connection ( Ireland Senior Mens Team)

 









Pat Smyth 81 Defender

 

First, we have defender Pat Smyth who explains to us “My father’s side of the family hail from Virginia in Co. Cavan”. Pat who grew up in Philadelphia details how lacrosse is a huge sport in the area and how he has played it from a young age. Pat has only recently graduated from college where he played lacrosse to a high level. “I played lacrosse at St. John's University in Queens for five years. I graduated in 2021.”

He then goes on to describe how he got onto the involvement in the Irish men’s set up. “I think I saw something or during the 2014 World Championships I saw Ireland play being a dual citizen. I said I would try out and attempt to make the team. Smyth went to his first Irish trail for the World championships in 2018 and hasn't looked back since

Smyth reminisces about getting his first call up in 2018 and how he felt “It’s just an immense amount of pride and joy. It's such a great honor to be able to represent the great country of Ireland and play for my heritage and represent the country where my grandparents came from.

Finally, Smyth tells us how he wants to keep representing Ireland. I want to wear the green Jersey for as long as I can. I hope to make a few more World Championships and European Games.” If the Olympic committee allows Lacrosse into the Olympics, we could see Smyth represent Ireland and Cavan on the Olympic stage in 2028.

 

Brady Morin Defender no. 39

 

The second member of the Irish Lacrosse team we hear from with a Cavan connection was yet another defender in Brady Morin whose mom hails from Laragh in Co. Cavan. “My mom is from Cavan in Ireland. So, we've always been raised in a very Irish household, and she can be very close to the culture there.”

Brady, who is now a junior in college, explains how he started playing lacrosse at a young age in New Jersey and how he is now still playing at a high level in the USA. “I go to RIT who play division 3 lacrosse and I have two more years playing there before I graduate.”

Morin, who represented the Irish U21 side last year at the World Championships in Limerick, details how he first got involved in the Irish set up at youth level. “. So, I saw them on TV when I they were in Prague. And I thought that was such a cool thing. And I really wanted to be a part of it. My mom and I looked into how we could and saw the U19 team at the time. So, I went out, so I went to Philly, tried out for the team. And then they said I was really good, and they allowed me to come to Ireland for the official tryout and I made the team for the Championships

Brady describes brilliantly how he felt when he made that original side along with the senior side in San Diego. “I was absolutely ecstatic. I was just so excited and honored to be a part of this. And it was very exciting coming out to Limerick and now I am part of the senior side in San Diego I couldn't be happier. It was something I never thought would happen when I started playing the sport in New Jersey.” He goes on to detail how he felt after he got the call regarding the senior team and his first World Championships. “It was always a dream, but I didn't really think much of it when I found that I wasn't officially part of the team but when I got that call from the Irish coach, I was so excited and I was like yes it definitely is I I have to do this no matter what.”

After appearing in his first senior tournament at such a young age for Ireland it is clear that this young defender has plenty more left in the tank whether it's at European, World Championships or even Olympics if Lacrosse gets the go ahead to be a sport in 2028.

This is hopefully not the last time you will hear from the Cavan star.

No comments:

Post a Comment