Wednesday 31 July 2024

Luke Moloney Sligo ( Olympics)

/ Luke Moloney (Sligo Lacrosse Player)





Luke Moloney Attacker No. 19


From Easkey to Manchester to Olympics 2028 Luke Moloney has

had an amazing Lacrosse career so far and we hear how he has

come from Sligo to the World stage and Olympic Stage all going

well


Since the World Championship in San Diego Luke has been lucky

enough to wear the green jersey again in 2024. Luke played in a

six’s competition in Faro for Ireland a couple of months ago. This

is another variation of Lacrosse with only six players on the field.

“Faro was an amazing experience it gave me an insight into the

variation of Lacrosse that will be played in the Olympics in 2028.”

It is clear Luke has a plan and let’s hope we will see the man from

Easkey wear the Irish jersey at European and World

championships along maybe even Olympic level in 2028 and

further on.

What is field Lacrosse Moloney explains the different variations of

this sport. “It’s a ten-man game which would be played on a

normal size sports field. This is what I played in San Diego at the

World’s last Summer.”

Pursuing a lacrosse career was always going to be challenging

for the young man, but through hard work, he managed to

achieve his dream. “Moloney, who spent part of last year in


Canada developing his lacrosse skills, points out to us that he will

find it difficult to play for Ireland if he stays in his native country,

as all the sport is played in Dublin which means he would have to

travel a number of hours to play.” My goal is to continuously strive

to improve and become a more impactful player for the national

team in whatever variation of the sport I play. I have obtained a

visa for Canada, where I plan to train and play box lacrosse

again. I spent time there last year and hope to return this winter to

further develop my skills and contribute more effectively to the

Irish team in upcoming competitions.”

In 2024 Moloney has tried his best to keep up his Lacrosse skills

by playing in the UK every couple of weeks. “I am involved with a

team in Manchester and try to get over there every couple of

weekends to play competitive matches.”

He began his Irish career in 2019 for the when the U20 European

championship took place in Prague in the Czech Republic.

Following that, one of the coaches, who also coached the men's

box team, called me up as an alternate for the 2019 Men's box

team. Since then, I haven't looked back and have made every

senior-level squad possible."”

While in San Diego, Moloney describes how he felt when he

received the call to play for the men’s senior team at the World

Championships.

“When the team was announced, I received an email, which was

a huge relief after all the hard work that went into preparing and

trying it out. It's always a great feeling to represent my native

country on the world stage. I was obviously a bit relieved, but in a

good way. I felt I had to step up and really live up to it. I went in

there with the idea of trying to learn as much as I could, being a


student of the game rather than an experienced player and tried

to help the team in any way possible.”

The news of Ireland and the Olympics has only been

recently announced and Luke gives us his initial feelings when he

heard the news. “My initial feeling. Obviously, there's relief,

excitement, and you know, mostly excitement. But the relief that

finally we've got the recognition.”

This news has really got the Irish Lacrosse world excited

We can't wait to see Luke on the world stage in the next few

years.

Where next for this Sligo man as he gets his name onto the world

stage.


https://www.pressreader.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment