Tuesday 18 February 2020

Mary I Junior Hurlers









Mary I         3-12

Tralee IT     3-7

Mary, I come out on top in Dreadful Conditions

The Mary I junior hurlers played there first game of the season in tough conditions down in Tralee. The away side playing with the aid of a strong breeze in the opening half opened the scoring with a free from corner forward Ciaran Barrett, before center forward Donal Donoghue fired over too double Mary I’s lead. Full forward Martin Grace then managed to get his hurl too the ball to in around the goalmouth which resulted in the first major of the day for Mary I. Mary I defense were well on top at this stage clearing ball after ball, one of these clearances fell to wing forward Micheal Cussen who fired slotted the ball between the sticks. Grace then followed up with his second major of the day which extended the away side’s lead. Midfielder Dan O’ Donovan fired over from long range before the aforementioned Barrett slotted over three more frees in the tough conditions. With the game nearing half time the home side fired over a point in anger before hitting there first major of the day to leave the half time score line slightly more respectable.

Tralee came out of the blocks much quicker in the second half with there center back hitting 3 unanswered points.  Barrett came into his own again then for Mary I slotting over another free before hitting arguably the score of the game, fetching the ball over his head out near the sideline and dissecting the uprights. Mary I’s third major came from wing back Jack Ryan after Barrett sideline landed in his hand before he fired into the net. Tralee responded with a free before Ryan added another point. Tralee were stayed in the game with three more frees. Barrett responded again when Mary I needed him firing over from play. With the game nearly over Tralee managed to hit two final majors but unfortunately these came too late, Grace hit an insurance point from a free for Mary I giving them a five-point win.

Mary I will play UCC away in the Mardyke this Thursday in the next round.

Mary I : Joe Lynch; Ciaran Guinan, Kevin O’ Meara, Mark Barry; Mike Cottrell, Oisin Ryan, Jack Ryan (1-1), David Croke, Dan O’ Donavan(0-1), Mark Shanhan, Donal Donoghue(0-1), Micheal Cussen(0-1), Ciaran Barrett( 0-7), Martin Grace( 2-1), Aidan Kirwan

No comments:

Post a Comment